Friday, August 11, 2006

RECTANGLE GRANNY AFGHAN PATTERN

People who have viewed the photos of the baby afghans, I posted a few months ago (April 06), have asked where they could find the pattern. I got this pattern from a fellow camper in the Good Sams a few years ago. I tweaked it a little and this is the result. I'm sure others have used this method as well, so I don't claim to have designed it.


MATERIALS:

Worsted weight yarn
H/5.00mm hook
Sizes: 30X42 and 36X54 larger size in [ ]


Foundation Row: Chain 40 [60], dc in 4th ch from hook, dc in next 2 ch *ch 1, skip 1 ch, dc in next 3 ch, repeat from * across, ending skip 1 ch, ch 1 dc in last ch. If changing colors fasten off, and attach new color on the opposite (diagonal) corner. There should be 9 [14] 3 dc groups and a loop on each end.

Round 1: Ch 3, 2 dc in loop formed by last dc of foundation row, (ch 1, 3 dc) 3 times in same space. 3 dc in space between dc groups to loop at opposite end of foundation row, work (3 dc, ch 1) 4 times in end space, continue around working 3 dc in each space between dc groups, join with a sl st in top of ch 3.

Round 2: Hold rectangle with right side facing and narrow end at top, join next color (if not changing color sl st to ch 1 space) ch 3, 2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc in same space {starting corner made} 3 dc between next 2 groups of 3 dc (for end), (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) {corner} in next ch 1 space, 3 dc in each space between dc groups along side, work corner in ch 1 space, 3 dc in next space between dc groups, sl st in beginning ch 3.

Repeat round 2 with 3 dc between each dc group and working corner in each corner. Repeat until afghan is approximately 30X42, approximately 25 rounds.

Edging:


Round 1: With right side facing, ch1, sc in each dc, 3 sc in ch 1 space in corners. Join with a sl st in first sc. Slip st to center st of 3 sc in ch 1 sp.

Round 2: Ch 5 (counts as a dc and ch 2 sp), dc in same st, *skip next 2 sc, V st in next sc: repeat from * around, ending skip next 2 sc, join with sl st in 3rd ch of beg ch 5.


Round 3: Sl st into ch 2 sp; in same sp work (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc): *in next ch 2 sp work (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc); repeat from * around, join. Finish off; weave in ends.

For wider edging:


Round 4: Sl st into ch 2 sp; in same sp work (ch 3, 2 dc, ch 2, 3 dc): *in next ch 2 sp work (3 dc, ch 2, 3dc); repeat from * around, join. Finish off; weave in ends.


60 st ch = 18 inch strip for example 36X54 or 42X60
40 st ch = 12 inch strip for example 30X42 or 36X48

Comments:
Hi Suzie, Thank you for the pattern I love it. I cannot wait to try it. Sharon
 
Hi Suzie, Thank you for such a great pattern. I'm anxious to start it...I love how your's came out. Keep up the great work! Dee
 
Wow, I am gone for awhile and come back to all this great stuff :) thanks.
 
This is beautiful. Can't wait to try it, have another afghan started right now. Red , White, Blue Ripple.
 
This looks like an excellent pattern. Thanks for posting. I always look forward to your creativity. Can't wait to try it!

Meg
 
This is such a fast pattern! I was able to complete a rectangular afghan in one week. If I had tried to do granny squares vs. the granny rectangle, it would definitely take much longer. My three year old loved watching me make it and loves using it.
 
Thank you for sharing this pattern!! It is easier than a similar pattern my Mom and I used for many years. I use scrap yarn and make this is a wide variety of colors. It makes for a wonderful, colorful afghan. I call it the 'indian' design. Also uses up all the partial skeins we have. Since retiring I am enjoying my crocheting even more, and am always looking for new patterns. Thanks for this easy one, keep up the good work!! VA
 
Thanks for sharing this pattern!! Had a silimar pattern, but yours starts out much easier. I have made these aghans for years in planned colors, but my favorite use for this is to use up scrap yarn. It is a wonderful way to use 'stash' and they are gifts from small kids thru seniors. Everyone loves them. Am making one now in school colors for a gift. Since retiring, I am always looking for new patterns. You have no idea how many people you touch by sharing. God Bless VA
 
This is really a beautiful afghan. I's not your typical granny rectangle afghan. I think you have very nice patterns,and it's very nice that you share with us. Ihave one question,how do I copy a pattern without getting 12 or 13 pages that Idon't need.Susan
 
You need to copy and paste it into whatever document program you use.

Then print it from there.

I use Word.
 
Hi Suzie, I have question----hope it does'nt sound to dumb !!! Can you keep going around this to make a bedspread? Thanks for posting uour pattern. Helen
 
Yes, you can keep going to make it as large as you want. The length of the starting chain will determine the difference in the length and width. The 40 beginning chain will make it 12 inches longer than wide, the 60 will be 18 inches longer than wide.
 
Saw the link to your pattern on Crochet Partners...it's really nice! I looked it up on Ravelry and it isn't marked as a free pattern, so you might want to have them update that. Thanks for sharing your creativity!
 
Hi
I feel so dumb. But I can't seem to join new yarn right. I guess I finish with a slip stitch on the top with first yarn. Then in the first ch 1 space is where I start the new yarn? Or do I start in the space where I slip stitch. I can't seem to do it right. I am now at the top of first row ready for second row. Nancy
 
Start your new yarn in a ch 1 space. I always start in the corner katty-cornered from the one where I fastened off.
 
Hi Suzie, I have been looking for a pattern just this size as I am going to make these for the returning soldiers( amputees ) that are sent to Walter Reed Hospital in Washington . This size is just right because they will not get caught in the wheels of their wheelchairs Thank you and God Bless You Margaret P
 
Thanks for the pattern. I've been wanting to make a rectangle as a base for a shrug; now I can do it.

I noticed that in the photo, the stitches seem to be "spike" like. How did you do that? Ruth
 
I think it just looks like spikes because of the colors of the yarns.
 
I just wanted to let you know that I made this afghan for my neice and then decided to enter it into our county fair. I asked my neice first of course! It took first place!!!! It also turned out beautiful! Thank you for posting this!! I will be making this agian!!!!!!!!
 
Congrats on the blue ribbon.
 
Hi Suzie,

Did a test run with scrap yarn last night and love the look of the pattern. Can't wait to start. Just out of curiousity, if you make the afghan using just 2contrasting colors ----how many skeins of each would you suggest buying for the two sizes you give directions for?
 
I did make some notes about yarn requirements, but only for the 25 round size (30X42 inches). I used approximately 8 ounces of the multicolor and 10 ounces of the solid.
 
Thank you so much for this pattern, it is exactly what I have been looking for ;-)
 
Cute! I am going to try making one for my mom. Ive made many granny squares and tons of other patterns but never a granny rectangle. Quick question… how would I go about making a queen size? Around 60x 80"? Would I use chain 40 or chain 60? or maybe chain more? Thanks misite
 
I think I would chain 80 to start.
 
Thank You So Much! Ill let you know how it turns out!
Mistie
 
Since I discovered your rectangle granny pattern, I have made at least a dozen for family members, friends, and charities. Quick and easy to do. Each one looks different but they all look great. This is the best granny rectangle I've come across in over 30 years of crocheting. :)
 
Thanks, it's nice to hear you are enjoying the pattern.
 
I have been looking for a rectangle granny afghan to make. I am so excited to start! Thanks Suzetta
 
I really love this pattern, but I am having a problem. My short sides are fatter than my long sides, so my swatch looks more like a bone shape than a rectangle. Any suggestions?
 
Are you chaining more than 1 in the corners?

That's the only thing I can think of that would make it bone shaped.
 
Is there suppose to be a chain one on the sides between the 3 dc in round 2? Or is it just the 3 dc all across?
 
Just make it as written. No chain 1 between the 3 double crochets.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I have looking for this pattern for days...I had one from the Workbasket Magazine from the 70's or 80's that I always used before but could not find it anymore. This is such an easy pattern and turns out wonderful. Now I can FINALLY start my granddaughter's afghan. I was getting ready to settle for a different pattern so was glad that I hung in there....I have now saved it to my computer...thanks so much for posting.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?